Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday

It was another long day here in southeast India.  I don't think I can fully describe the way that we are being treated wherever we go.  We are the Beatles and the President (without the entourage) wrapped up in one.  We started the day by visiting the children while they ate breakfast.  The children who live on the street RUN to greet us as we get out of the car.  They mainly just want to shake our hands multiple times and say, "Good morning, sir."  Mind you, we have done absolutely nothing for these children other than be nice to them.  I think it could have something to do with the giant poster with our pictures on it that still hangs prominently outside the children's home, but the more likely scenario is that Keith and I are just that awesome.  We brought them a soccer ball (which they believe is a volleyball) and a football.  We also brought a frisbee and a hand pump to keep air in the balls.  Total costs:  ~$0.40 per kid.  Reward:  pure kid joy.  You know, kind of like when your 4 year old's jaw drops open when they walk in the living room on Christmas morning.  It was amazing.  Just so you know, when I get back home, I am having a serious talk with the elders about moving the children's home out back behind the church in Broken Arrow.  I already have Keith on board.  That's one down, 11 to go.

After the children left for school, we started another long journey to another congregation in a galaxy far, far away.  We stopped in Rajahmundy to exchange some currency and then Brother V MADE us get some new tailored clothing.  They measured us and began to make our clothes right in front of us.  In America, this would be crazy expensive, but here it is actually cheaper than buying name brand clothing.

I also don't think that I can describe the absolute poverty that we see EVERYWHERE.  Every couple miles we will come to another village where the people are crammed in like sardines and breathing air that no person should have to breathe.  There cannot be any kind of enjoyment of life from ~80% of the population in this part of India.

Once we got to our destination, they again treated us like rock stars as we entered this building that should be condemned that they use for a home/church.  And yes, that does mean more flower 'necklaces.'  It really is humbling and completely unneccessary, but we are powerless to stop it.  They must honor us beyond any reasonable expectation.  I then gave a short message, which was met with disappointment because I did not speak for at least an hour.  I can promise it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the message.  Keith will back me up on this.  We then witnessed 2 more baptisms that we had absolutely no hand in.  It is great to see the response, though.  For those keeping score:  Keith 12, Nick 2.

We then visited one of many leper colonies here in this part of the world.  It is really just the saddest thing I have ever seen.  I won't get into it, because I don't want you to feel as bad as I do.  They are the worst 1% of the 80% I mentioned above.  I'm moving on.

After we completed our long journey back, we again visited the children's home while they ate dinner.  Keith and I had the opportunity to serve the children dinner.  It was a blast (and hard work).  We watched last night and it was a well-oiled machine.  Let's just say that Keith and I move at about 15% of the speed that the normal ~13 year old servers move.  They beared with us, somehow.  Visiting these kids is my absolute favorite part of the day.

The plan for tomorrow is to take another trip to another galaxy far, far away and visit another congregation.  I didn't mention before, but the two previous churches that we have been to are supported by members at our church.  They are doing an incredible work for the kingdom.  This is the same story for the trip tomorrow.  I wish you all could see it.

Please continue to pray for us.  I miss most of you and I definitely miss ballin' up Plowman twice a week.  It will be back to normal soon enough.  I will talk to you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Son in law,
    Sounds like each day is a awesome new experience. I'm so glad your getting to touch those precious children's lives. I can't imagine the world they live in. We are missing you but enjoying our visit with your family. We will keep you in our prayers and wish you & Keith a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bro it sounds like your doing great, well not as good as keith, but whos counting except you.j/k. I'm really proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving son,

    We are missing you here but your work there is so much more important. I can't express my enthusiam I have for the work you are doing in India and look forward to what you have done each day and the lives that are being touched. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing that your able to touch the children's lives and in return they are blessing to your lives... Keeping everyone in our prayers and thoughts....

    ReplyDelete