Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving & Happy Black Friday

Happy Thanksgiving from Kovvur, India!  I didn't get a chance to post last night because it was a long night and I was exhausted.  We ate dinner at 10:30 last night.  Like I said, it was a long day.

We had the chance to visit most of the kids schools yesterday.  It was fun and interesting to see what the schools were like.  Obviously, the kids from the children's home are talking to their friends about the Americans that are visiting them.  We know this because we have shown them some different kinds of handshakes and we were having to do these handshakes with kids that we have never met.  They are like kids everywhere in that they don't know that they are poor.  They just want to be loved and have some fun.  The smiles on these kids melts me everytime.  Anyway, the schools were not that much different than our schools other than the fact that they are open-air classrooms.

After we left the schools, we traveled a long way to meet with a congregation that is supported by Owasso COC.  The singing was again unbelievable.  Keith and I both had the opportunity to speak this time.  We then witnessed 8 more baptisms.  The preachers in this area are brothers and they minister to the 4 congregations in the area that their father started.  It really is a great story.  Both of the men have wives and children.  Their monthly support is 1,000 rupees.  There are ~44 rupees to a dollar.  I will let you do the math on that.  I don't know how that's possible.

We then drove home through Rajahmundy, where I recorded what the driving is like in India.  I can't wait to show everyone the video, because you will be amazed at the complete disregard for the word 'yield.'  Aggressive driving is not only acceptable, but expected.

We finally got back to the children's home, where we got to witness a Bible study that was led by the older boys.  The kids sang praises to God in their own tongue and then asked Keith and I to return the favor.  We sang "Seek Ye First" and I think it made them very happy.  We then got to sit around for a little bit and actually visit with some of the older boys.  They are just great kids.  They're bright and funny.  They so want us to acknowledge them and give them some attention.  They are starved for attention and I am happy to give them some.  It is the least that I can do.

I crawled into bed 'early' at about 11:30p and got a little sleep.  The plan for today was to be a part of the preacher's meeting that Brother V puts on every month.  Some of the preachers traveled 500 km just to be at the meeting.  I hope that it was not just because we were here that they made the special trip, but I suspect that it was.  Keith and I both had the chance to encourage the men.  It really meant a lot to me to be able to do that.  They are doing a great work.  And again, they were disappointed that we did not speak an hour a piece.  Brother V then stood up and did not stop talking for a good 2 hours.  It was unbelievable.  I don't know what he said, but it was a lot.  We then got to witness 3 more baptisms.  That brings the total to 25, for those keeping score.

Now, we are going to go to the children's home while they have their feet measured for shoes.  Not one kid has an actual pair of shoes.  Some have sandals, but most do not.  These kids walk to school with no shoes.  It is just too sad of an opportunity to pass up, so we are going to buy them shoes.  And when I said we, I meant you.

Please don't spend too much money.  Also, please continue to pray for Keith and I.  Keith is not feeling too well and I am having allergy problems.  It will not be fun to travel about 30 hours sick as a dog.       

2 comments:

  1. Hope both of you quickly get to feeling better. It is no fun being in a foreign place and not feeling well. Will continue to pray for your success in your mission visits and better health. May God bless your trip and give you a safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nick! I've really enjoyed reading the updates on your trip. It sounds like an amazing experience that will stay with you forever! I'm sure you are ready to get home tomorrow, though! Hope you guys are feeling better now. I will continue to pray for your safety as you and Keith travel. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete